Sunday 4 March 2012

Painting No 17 - Tree, Cleeve Hill


Oil on Canvas 16" x 12"

I've been wanting to paint this lovely solitary tree ever since I saw it on a walk with friends on Cleeve Hill in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds about 5 years ago.

I'm very pleased with the overall effect of this one.  The deep blue sky is almost pure Cerulean Blue.  I initially did the sky using rough multi-directional strokes but this didn't work.  The rough surface made the sky look close so I re-painted it using smooth horizontal strokes.  I think this works very well.  The tree stands out nicely on the distant sky.

My daughter Lucy has asked for this and, as it's her birthday tomorrow, how could I refuse.

This will be my last painting before I go on a painting course at the Norlfok Painting School.  I wonder what effect this will have on my painting style.  A positive one I hope. Watch this space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment